Saturday, May 13, 2017

What can you do in 5 years?

Well, this is John.  5 Years of absolute love, joy, bliss and family!  I think I get a little more emotional when each of my children hit their 5th birthday.  Well, what am I saying, I get emotional with every birthday!!  But there is something about 5 years old.  5!!  Maybe because I am a teacher and I always think in terms of education, like officially starting school.  Kindergarten.  Child development.  Stuff like that.  Or I may just find it easier to count by fives.

Here's the thing....think about how much happens in the first 5 years of a child's life!  Look at those pictures above!!  Really look.  Change, change, change.  I don't need to list them all.  Developmental milestones from birth to age 5 are nothing short of miraculous!

Now think about any 5 years of your life.  Any time frame.  I am thinking of the 5 years I taught in public school.  So much happened for me professionally, personally, spiritually.  When I lived in Maryland from 2000-2005, so much happened in my life.  What about for you? What is the 5 year chunk of time that you remember most. 

What about the NEXT 5 years? How much can you accomplish?  What are your dreams, goals, struggles, plans?  Life is such a journey.  Watching my children grow is one of the most painfully and emotionally obvious examples of this journey of life.  No Facebook post, no picture, no blogpost, no birthday party will every freeze time.  We may want it to, in the back of our minds, though.

So let's embrace every second.  We don't know what tomorrow brings.  Let's enjoy every minute we have with our families and loved ones and ourselves!

Watching my children have birthdays is so bittersweet.  The memory of holding them for the first time is embedded in my brain...the beautiful moment of each of their home births. 

There are so many beautiful moments mixed in with all the crazy hard ones!!  But I hope you can see all of those beautiful moments and experience many more of them in the next 5 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment