Tuesday, June 21, 2016

First Official Week of Summer

I have no words..

Oh, wait, that is a really bad way to start a blog post.

Starting again...

This week was one of the busiest weeks of parenthood that I have had to date.  So this is my first summer with this group of children, ages 4, 7, 8, 9 and 17.  I have set up the schedule, looked at each child, thought about his/her needs and interests and tried to set it up so they would have beneficial experiences while working on our family relationships at the same time. 

YES!  I did that.

So this week it began.  Carmen and Maggie had Art and Drama Camp all week.  They love coloring, art, drama (of course!) and being on stage.  They had such a great week.  They also learned to get along better and to be there to support each other as new sisters.  Friday night, they ended the week with a nice little production and a display of their artwork from the week.  It was an adorable show!  Our wonderful friends, Nancy and Shawn came out to support the girls, as well. 

Carmen with her art work from camp

Maggie with her artwork


Yay!  Nancy and Shawn came out to support the arts!



Emmett also had basketball camp this week at the YMCA.  I picked him up on the first day, he got in the van and said, "I am never doing that again".  It was all day, 8:30 to 3:00.  Now for a home educated child, this is a long time!  He loved it, went back the next day and the next and the next.  Unfortunately, Emmett woke up with a fever on Friday morning, the last day of camp.  He caught tonsillitis from John and so he missed the last day of camp....the tournaments, pizza and swim party, and awards ceremony. I felt terrible for him!  I was so happy he made it 4 days, though.  With Emmett and his varied interests, it is hard to tell what he will like doing or not.  I am so proud of him for giving it his all this week. 

Emmett after the first day

Emmett making faces after the first day

So this week was also filled with appointments, as usual.  We had our regular in home therapy sessions.  Then we had Desiree's orientation for her summer job.  So excited for her!  She has a great summer job suited perfectly for her. 

Then we also had 3 doctor's appointments ugh..  Emmett got his ear checked from when he got banged in the side of the head while playing, Carmen had to have her retainer adjusted because one of the bands came loose and then John had to go because he was extremely ill with tonsillitis.  And I had two appointments on top of all of that!  That is why I usually avoid appointments for myself since when I have something to do, it just adds to all the other craziness!

Yes, I spent 5 hours at the salon getting a complete hair makeover.  5 hours!  As you can tell from the picture below, I needed it. Don't worry, I am not abandoning my roots!  Look for a separate blog post about that.  John was with me the whole time and he was such a good boy!!!

Tuesday evening was a fun time in Christiansburg seeing my sister, Beth, who I haven't seen in 5 years.  She was in Virginia for work all week.  I took Emmett and Carmen with me.  We swam in the hotel pool and had dinner.  My siblings live all over the country, so taking time to see each other whenever we can is always a treat.

My sister and I. 

Selfies with Beth's teddy bears, too!

So I wanted to recap this week because I still can't believe what it is like to take care of five children and make sure everyone stays safe and has their needs met!  Whatever happens this summer, I have to keep telling myself that I am trying my best and I'm not a perfect mom...

Well, I'll just keep working on my Daily Affirmations, so in the words of Stewart Smalley from Saturday Night Live,..."I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"


Have a great summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment